Donate to: The Box Top Kids

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Visual Cues Make Learning Easier

How many times have you heard someone say, "If I can picture something I will understand it better?"  How about, "If I hear it once I can remember it forever?"

Children have different learning styles too.  When they use several senses at the same time it helps them grasp and master new concepts.

Try putting a sheet of ten math problems, without any visual cues,  in front of  most first graders.  What does their body language tell you?  You will often see more movement of their entire body.  Perhaps they start squirming in their seats.

Take the paper away and give them a moment to relax.  Talk about something completely unrelated.

Then put a workbook like the one above in front of them.  Very few problems per page with many visual cues.  The pictures are simple and easy to understand.

I've looked at 15 different workbooks and Fisher Price is the best one I have ever found.  The problem is that it does not appear to go past the first grade.

Obviously people of all ages learn better with visual cues.  Is it a coincidence that kids lose their love for learning when they are no longer provided visual cues?

 ~ Posted by Mom

PS ~ I found this workbook at a used book store and paid $1.50  Much better than the 2nd grade book I settled for last night.  Purchased at Staples for $10.00+  (Don't you love Amazon?)

No comments:

Post a Comment